Tuesday, June 2, 2009

E3 2009: Sony Press Conference

Sony and I have been at war this generation. It did not start out that way. I had every intention of buying a PS3 without a second thought when announcements of the new consoles came out. But Sony's reps started sounding too cocky, and I started wanting to play Oblivion. So I went ahead and got an Xbox 360, figuring that since Sony's console release was still a ways off I could just get one later. Then I read that a Sony rep stated (basically) that Sony could sell dogshit in a bag and their customers would buy it. I was infuriated and I decided that Sony needed to be taught humility and a respect for their customers. So I bought a Wii (which I wanted anyway) instead.

Fastforward to 2009. I am not a huge fan of the Wii (see my "Nintendo" activle) and Microsoft's fall lineup is looking rather quiet. My best friend, RJ, just got a PS3 and is encouraging me to join him and "expand my options as a gamer". It has been three years now. Sony has (seemingly) learnt a few lessons in that time. So I will be paying attention to what the PS3 can offer me this year as a potential buyer. In short, their E3 conference will be playing a large role in my ultimate decission. Check back soon to read my discoveries from Sony's presentation. Right now, its time to go and watch it.

Final Fantasy XIII

Yesterday witnessed the first viewing of Final Fantasy XIII being played on an Xbox 360. It was an exciting and historic moment for Xbox fans everywhere. But today, Square Enix shared a much deeper trailer for the PS3 version of the game, filled with many interesting new faces that I am sure we will grow fond of in the future and asking many questions to which I am sure any Final Fantasy fan will be itching to find answers for. Here is the trailer that was released at the conference.



Final Fantasy XIV... ONLINE?!

(As a quick aside: Jay, I can see you cringing. Stop! *hug*)

Yes, you read that right. In 2010 Square Enix plans to release not one but two Final Fantasy games. The first is the much anticipated Final Fantasy XIII which is suppose to release in the spring. But wait... There's more. At Sony's press conference it was announced that Final Fantasy XIV will also be releasing in 2010. This was followed by a trailer for the game, which you can view below.



As much as I love Final Fantasy, this is the game that stole E3 2009 in my opinion. Its new, its exciting and its innovative. The fact that this will let me design any character, any car, and any track my little heart desires. The best part is that all of this stuff can be shared with family and friends. The design is very fun and enjoyable: its old school kart-racer gaming. Yes, that means crazy driving, weapons, launchers, stompers, etc. and more. The video below took me half an hour to find but I am delighted to share it as I was quite honestly stunned by what I saw here. Tell me what you think. Enjoy!



The Last Guardian

I am not 100% sure whether I will buy this game. Why? Because I am not 100% sure I would be able to play this game. But the art style looks cool and the critter your character is with looks so cute that I could not resist posting it here and giving my support. Take a look at the trailer and decide what you think.



Sony's New Motion Controller

Everybody is getting in on the motion control gig it seems. Yesterday we saw Microsoft unvail Natal. Today Sony is unveiling their new motion sensing controller that works (if I understand correctly) in conjunction with the EyeToy. The actual level of control and the focus on how this could actually effect specific "hardcore" games are definately this new system's strengths. For me personally my biggest concern is whether I will physically be able to use this and whether it will be optional, manditory or game-specific once it enters the market. (This is especially important for me regarding my purchasing decission.) Only time will tell how this project will pan out for Sony. Want to see this for yourself? Check out a video:



All in all I feel that Sony had a good solid showing at E3 2009. They did not surpass Microsoft in innovation in my opinion (which is likely biased based on the fact that I am unsure how the new Sony tech will work for me.) But I do feel that Sony had a very strong showing with regard to games. There is a lot more adventure and RPG stuff here, as opposed to the majority of FPS fare shown by Microsoft. There is nothing "wrong" with FPS but they are not my favorite genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment