Tuesday, June 2, 2009

E3 2009: Nintendo Press Conference

I like Nintendo. My first game console was the original NES. We had Mario, Fester's Quest, Pinbot, Final Fantasy 1... Good memories. I love Nintendo DS. I don't spend as much time with it as I use to, since I own an Xbox 360 and I love social gaming. But I still pick up a game for that system here and there. The DS broadened my interest in gaming and I have a lot of respect for that system for that reason. The Nintendo Wii has been a large disappointment for me. I really wanted to like it and hoped it would be somewhat a console equivelant of the DS. It is not. Why? Because I do not have the ability to use a Wiimote and a Nunchuk at the same time for medical reasons.

So if it seems I am going a little too hard on Nintendo today, please recognize (as always) that this blog focuses on what is of value to me. Nintendo is a great company and did much good for gaming. But since I cannot play their main console my current views of them are not necessarily the most favorful. I wanted to be upfront and disclose my bias so that it will not color the judgement of my readers.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

I did not get to catch a video of this until just now since I decided to spend time with Jay and skip part of the Nintendo conference (good choice -- I missed a lot of the marketing mumbo-jumbo that I don't care about.) I also missed hearing about this game, but thankfully IGN's Nintendo Recap gave me a good guideline to use about which games I would likely have wanted to see. I am a huge DS fan and a huge fan of RPGs so this fit the list. I will try to get more details but for now you can check the trailer right here.



Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Yet again, this is one of the games that I missed. I still need to get Phantom Hourglass, but I still stand by my belief that playing zelda with a stylus would probably go over very good for me. Anyway, the video that is shown here looks pretty cool and this is another game that I may need to keep an eye on in the future.



New Super Mario Brothers Wii

This. Looks. Awesome. Remember what I was saying about not hating the Wii but being frustrated that I have trouble with some games? Well this looks like it should be a joyously comfortable fit for me. You flip the Wiimote to act like an old school controller. With modern TVs (either me 37" one or my parents 42" one) and four player coop with competitive stats, this shows major promise and looks very fun. Care to see more? Check out a video:



Other Interesting Things

Do not let the smaller number of videos here fool you. Nintendo did show some other interesting things, noteably Metroid Another M and Super Mario Galaxy 2. As I stated at the beginning of my article, I am sticking to stuff that I can actually play. Galaxy is a no in the hugest way (my brother bought me the first one and it was BAD with me playing it.) and the second is fairly dicey, although it is interesting to see Nintendo collaborating with Team Ninja. Overall Nintendo seemed to have a pretty good conference. Oh wait, there was one more thing I wanted to show you...

Wii Vitality Sensor

I think my pulse went up when I saw how far some people are willing to go in order to make money. And I think if I can't sleep this video would definately do the trick. Sorry if I sound harsh here, but really... What will they think of next? Don't believe me? Think I am pulling your leg? If you can see through your tears this will show you that I am being 100% serious...

No comments:

Post a Comment